Look back at some memories of one of Kenora’s most memorable schools, Central School, through this collection of stories.
This is a true story of life and death in Rat Portage taken from contemporary accounts of a tragic event at the beginning of 1883.
On a cold winter day in 1979, an excavation crew began working on a project close to what is now the Kenora airport. Unbeknownst to them, they were about to unearth an archaeological discovery unlike anything this region had ever seen.
Everyone in Kenora knows about Husky the Muskie, but do you know the history of how our giant muskie statue came to be built and named?
During the summer of 1953, the last major polio epidemic swept through Kenora. Though it is a tragic story, it is also one of hope.
Local legend has it that the town’s name was changed from Rat Portage to Kenora because the Maple Leaf Milling Company was reluctant to establish a mill here if it meant having to put the word rat on their flour bags. Adding credence to the story is that when the milling company did build here in 1905, Rat Portage was no longer. The town’s new name was Kenora.
Some sprang forward and others flatly refused to budge on May 1st, 1914 in the Town of Kenora during the region’s first Daylight Savings Time.