Canadian Rivers Day is held annually on the second Sunday in June to promote public awareness of the importance of preserving the heritage and health of Canada’s rivers.
On October 10, 1920, a crowd of hundreds gathered at the Kenora docks to witness a plane attempting the first Trans-Canada flight.
One hundred years ago this month, in March 1919, there was a vote in Kenora that fundamentally changed the look and feel of life in town. In the third week of March, the taxpayers of Kenora voted overwhelmingly in favour of taking on a massive public debt to build roads and sidewalks in town.
Look back at some memories of one of Kenora’s most memorable schools, Central School, through this collection of stories.
The Muse is looking for information on a nationally recognized feminist newsletter published in Kenora between 1978-1984 called Voices: A Survival Manual for Wimmin.
This is a true story of life and death in Rat Portage taken from contemporary accounts of a tragic event at the beginning of 1883.
On a cold winter day in 1979, an excavation crew began working on a project close to what is now the Kenora airport. Unbeknownst to them, they were about to unearth an archaeological discovery unlike anything this region had ever seen.
The Drive-In Theatre — few places evoke such strong memories of summer evenings spent with family and friends. The Rabbit Lake Drive-In opened 65 years ago, at the height of Hollywood’s Golden Age.
A bachelors’ ball was a dance for single people to meet up and have a good time. In the spring and summer of 1909, 110 year ago this month, Kenora hosted not one but two bachelors’ balls.
This is the story of when 5,000 people, over 10% of the population of Winnipeg at the time, made Rat Portage their destination for a day at the lake.
The spring break-up of ice on Lake of the Woods has long been closely followed by residents. Besides the necessity of the opening of the lake for transportation and communication purposes, there naturally developed a competition to be the first boat to navigate through the ice floes in the early spring.
Anglican Summer Camp Island is located south of Crowe Island at the mouth of Keewatin Channel on Lake of the Woods.
2016 marks the 125th anniversary of Camp Stephens, a Lake of the Woods summer camp for youth and families operated by the YMCA/YWCA.
In March 1917, the Canadian Corps received orders to capture Vimy Ridge as part of a larger offensive in the Arras area.
Everyone in Kenora knows about Husky the Muskie, but do you know the history of how our giant muskie statue came to be built and named?
We’re hiring! The Muse is looking to fill a temporary full-time position at the Douglas Family Art Centre as an Art Centre Programmer.
For the month of June, free copies of the “Bakaan nake’ii ngii-izhi-gakinoo’amaagoomin: We were taught differently” will be available at the Lake of the Woods Museum.
Learn why we chose “The Muse” as the overarching name for the Lake of the Woods Museum & Douglas Family Art Centre.
New virtual exhibition! Strike a Pose: Portraits from the Collection features over 60 portraits from the Museum’s extensive photo collection.
Today (May 21st) is International Tea Day! Here is a case from the Lake of the Woods Museum collection full of Rat Portage souvenir china.
May 20th is World Bee Day and we’re showing off some items from Shop the Muse to teach your kids about the importance of bees!
This is the story of four men who made the very first trip to Winnipeg by car in 1927, a full five years before the highway was built.
During the summer of 1953, the last major polio epidemic swept through Kenora. Though it is a tragic story, it is also one of hope.
May 5th is the National Day of Awareness for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls, also sometimes called Red Dress Day.