New Acquisitions – April 7, 2020

by Marcus Jeffrey

The Lake of the Woods Museum actively collects material history (photos, clothing, tools, etc.) relating to the Kenora region. While our storage area is bursting at the seams, and we have to carefully evaluate each item that comes through the door, we absolutely love receiving old photos and postcards of the town and lake.

Today, we received an envelope from our friends at the Lake of the Woods County Historical Society, in Baudette, Minnesota. They were in possession of some postcards which they felt would be a better fit for our collection at The MUSE.

The first image shows Kenora from Coney Island, as it looked in the 1920s.

The second image shows a man in a laden canoe, smoking a pipe as he travels through the Devil’s Gap. A wooden launch cruises past in the background.

The third image shows the scene on shore during a rowing regatta, likely the 1910 edition. Notice the boathouses and steamer “Clipper” along what is now our Harbourfront greenbelt.

 

Did you know?

During the Second World War German prisoners of war were brought to the Lake of the Woods area to cut wood for the local mills.  Many of the prisoners enjoyed their time in the Canadian wilderness, and a number of them immigrated to Canada when the war ended.

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann